Sunday 17 May 2015

Ben&Jerry's Phish Food ice cream



This is a bit of a different kind of review for me today, as I usually tend to review cosmetics, with the occasional book review or recipe thrown in. However, after reading so many blogs which did fantastic food and restaurant reviews, I decided to have a go at reviewing one of my favourite, and a popular variety of ice cream which I'm sure many of you have heard of.

Ben and Jerry's is a popular American brand of ice cream which was founded in 1978 and later brought over to the UK due to it's popularity. It comes in many different flavour varieties, although there are currently a lot more available in America than Britain. Today I will be reviewing Phish food, a flavour brought out in 1997 named after the band, Phish.

The packaging of this ice cream is a decorative 500ml tub made of cardboard, with a colourful blue, orange and purple design. Although some argue the packaging is fairly boring, I find it looks attractive and is easily recognisable. The only drawback I find is the ice cream tends to spill over the edges as the tub is definitely packed full to the brim.


Phish food is described as a chocolate ice cream with marshmallow swirls, caramel and chocolatey fish-shaped morsels. And for me it provides a great contrast between flavour and textures.

The chocolate ice cream provides a rich, fudgey note to Phish food. It's very moreish and this is only helped by the plentiful supply of gooey marshmallow swirl mixed in. The marshmallow swirl is a little like frozen marshmallow fluff or the melted marshmallow you would get in a Smore. It's soft, chewy sweetness and texture cuts through the richness of the chocolate ice cream and stops it becoming too overbearing or sickly. The marshamallow swirl is my favourite component in the ice cream and I find myself trying to scoop out that on it's own.



The chocolate fish mixed into the ice cream don't add much in way of flavour apart from a slight bitterness, but definitely add a bite to the texture and stop the product seeming too sloppy, even when it's starting to melt a little. Personally, these aren't my favourite part of the ice cream and I would rather Ben and Jerry's swapped them for something like Blondies or chocolate brownies, however it's not a major problem in the overall taste.

As for the caramel, I honestly didn't notice it. If it hadn't said caramel on the packaging, I wouldn't have even been aware it was supposed to be there. Maybe the other flavours dominated it, but I was a little disappointed that I couldn't find any.

This is a premium ice cream, so expect to be paying £2.50-£5 depending on where you get it from. I usually wait until there is a half price offer on before buying any as I don't like spending lots on this kind of product.

Out of all the Ben and Jerry's flavours I have tried, Phish food remains my favourite out of them all and it definitely warrants a 10 out of 10 for flavour. Unfortunately the price and leaky packaging let it down slightly, but it is definitely something I will be repurchasing.


8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment