Tuesday 26 May 2015

L'oreal True Match Foundation


Lots of us have those 'staple products', especially in our make-up collections. The ones we return to time and time again. We venture out to try new things now and then, but if in doubt we return to our classics that we know and love. For me, this is one of those products.

A good foundation, for me, is the main piece of makeup you should have in your kit. Some may argue that it should be an eyeliner, or even a lip gloss, but for me, your base defines the rest of your look and can help other additional pieces of makeup used look their best.

I think that before you find the ideal foundation, you definitely end up trying a few unsuitable ones before you find something that works for you. I speak from experience that it took me around 6 different bottles/tubs of foundations, from creme to powder, matte to dewy finishes, to find one that I felt comfortable using.

L'oreal True Match liquid is a mid-ranged drugstore/high street foundation. It is available in tons of different shades, and tones too, so whether you have pale, ivory skin or a darker tone, you should be able to find something to suit you. For me, I found the palest shade in the cool-toned range  available to be the one that suited me the most, which is shade C1-Rose Ivory. It is a creamy ivory colour with a pink undertone.


This foundation is a liquid, but it's definitely not one that is too runny or messy to use. It comes in a glass pump dispenser that I can't decide whether I particularly like or not. It looks attractive, professional and quite expensive for a high street makeup brand, however, it's not particularly practical for taking out and about as it is bulky and the plastic cap comes off easily, which means you risk spilling some.  It is also near impossible to get the last few drops of product out when the bottle is almost done, which is annoying for me. As well as this, it's very easily broken if dropped.

The packaging actually had a revamp last year when L'oreal did a new advert promotion for the product starring Beyonce, but the packaging update was unfortunately very basic, just slightly changing the label logo and swapping the matte-silver trim for a shiny silver one.


You can apply this foundation either using a brush or by hand. I generally use the latter, as the heat from your fingers can help it blend easier into your skin. Go steady with this foundation though, as although it is only medium coverage, it can be built up easily and if too much is applied, it can become difficult to blend in without leaving streaks. It leaves a great, semi-matte finish, however if you have any particularly oily areas such as your T-zone, I recommend topping up with a translucent powder. I don't find this foundation is particularly good at covering up spots either, but as I rarely get any (my skin is more on the slightly dry side), it isn't a problem for me.

This foundation isn't particularly drying, but if your skin suffers from flaky, dry patches, I would recommend using a moisturiser or hydrating primer underneath too. If you have blackheads a primer is also ideal as I find True Match isn't great at covering them. As for staying power, I only had to reapply slightly once during the day- for me, that is pretty impressive.


For me, this foundation does what it says. It leaves a beautiful, natural finish that doesn't look in any way caked-on, but just helps your skin look like your skin, only better. It provides a good base for any blush, bronzer or other makeup product you decide to use after. 5 years ago, this cemented itself as one of my staple products, and I would recommend it to anyone with combination-normal-dry skin. I just hope the formula is never changed or it is discontinued, as it is definitely one of my favourites and a regular everyday piece of makeup for me.

L'oreal also do true match makeup in the form of mineral foundation, setting powder and concealer, so if you are a fan of the liquid foundation range, check them out.

Highly recommended.


10/10













No comments:

Post a Comment