Tuesday 5 May 2015

Mac Lipstick in Saint Germain



Mac is a high end brand well-known in the makeup and blogging industry, and their make-up products have been recommended to me by lots of different people. However, I have been wary to spend money on their products, as most come with quite a high price tag attached. If I am spending a lot on a piece of premium makeup, I want it to live up to expectations.

After browsing Mac's wide colour range online (there are so many different colours and textures- it is worth looking around online before you buy), I decided to have a look on Ebay for a reputable seller who may have some cheaper options.

I am a fan of pink and nude lipsticks, as I prefer something I can wear everyday to get the most use out of it. I am not really a fan of dark plums or reds, although I agree they can be a nice colour for nights out or special occasions. After looking through the different options Mac had to offer, as well as reading lots of other reviews and blogs, I decided to try Saint Germain- a blue-toned pink shade in Mac's amplified crème formula.


The packaging of this is really pretty-possibly the most understated yet elegant lipstick tube I have owned before. Some of Mac's lipstick packaging can be different colours if it is a limited-edition range, however this is one of their classics and in the well-known matte black and silver weighty bullet-shaped tube, with the classy silver logo. It comes in a cardboard box, which can be thrown away, but I have kept to keep the tube from getting dirty.


The colour of this lipstick is pretty rich, despite not looking too bright in the tube itself. It comes up as a pale pink, which is highly pigmented and shiny, although has no glitter particles. This helps it look a little more mature, and although it is a 'fun' colour, it would look good on all age groups.  I would recommend using a lip scrub and balm before applying this, as like all pale colours, it can highlight cracks and chapped skin on your lips easily.


This lipstick can be applied a few different ways. Either you can use it normally, and this way achieves a very high pigmented look, which would work well with a smoky eye to create a 60's makeup inspired look.

Secondly, you can apply a small with a lip brush and blend to create a more muted effect for everyday. This is generally what I do.

It can also be used as a crème blush, just dab a bit on and blend it, applying more and building up if you want a deeper colour payoff. It is a more moisturising option to using a classic powder option.



The texture of Mac's Saint Germain in the tube is creamy and hydrating, although it doesn't feel too rich or oily when you are wearing it. The lasting power is great and it looked as fresh as it did when I first applied it some 6 hours later.


Unfortunately the oiliness in the packaging can cause it to melt quickly when exposed to even slightly warm temperatures. I kept this lipstick on a shelf, and when I reopened it a few hours later, it snapped when applying, even though I had only wound it up slightly.


I managed to mould it back together and refrigerate it, however it soon snapped again and created quite a mess of the lipstick tube. I have since researched this online, and it is a notorious problem with Mac lipsticks that causes frustration among many people. I can understand the annoyance when this is a high-priced brand.


Saying this, though, it would not put me off trying other mac lipsticks, and products from their extensive range of makeup. I am interested in the foundations and might make a trip to my nearest mac store to get a proper match, as I have heard they have good customer service.


If you are considering buying mac products, be sure to shop around to get the best deal you can- but watch out for too-good-to-be-true prices. A lot of other companies impersonate this well-known brand, and if you receive a product with no original Mac boxed packaging, you can always take it to one of the official stores and they will be able to check for you.


This is still possibly the best lipstick I have used, and certainly lived up to expectations, the melting and breaking aspect was only a minor disappointment. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys pink shades, and wants to invest in a high quality product. Just ensure you keep it in a cold place. I really wanted this product to be a 10, but due to the issues with it easily snapping, I've given it an eight and a half.



8.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment