Wednesday 15 July 2015

Glorious Mud body mask


Around a year ago, Lush Cosmetics decided to start up the Lush Kitchen to replace the 'retro' section of their old website. The Lush Kitchen is a project run by Lush to unearth long-ago products, and make fresh, limited-edition batches of them to offer customers who may not have shopped at Lush long enough to remember their old, discontinued products.

Personally, I think there is good and bad points to the Lush kitchen, but overall it is a nice way to have a chance to try something out that you may not have been able to buy before. The products are also at their peak of freshness- which is the best condition to use them in.

The problem that is caused by releasing limited amounts of products, is that there often isn't enough for everyone to buy-leading to lots of disappointed customers. As well as this, customers who do manage to buy something such as a limited-edition shampoo, might want to use it as part of their regular routine- which they can't do unless the Lush Kitchen decide to bring it back.

It is generally a total lottery what Lush decide to stock in the Kitchen range, so it is worth checking back every week when the new menu of products is put out.

Glorious mud is a rhassoul-mud based body mask released by Lush in their Kitchen range. It's presented as a large, cubed, brown slab, which doesn't look immediately appealing. However, with products such as these, it's important not to judge the look of them before they are used.

The scent of Glorious mud is part of Lush's Creme Anglais scent family- a strong, layered scent with lots of vanilla. But for those who are into plain vanilla scents, this is a little different. There is also a large helping of Frankincense in here, and this adds a smokiness to the scent which makes it quite heady and overwhelming. The Glorious mud scent is a little weaker than the Pot O' Gold shower jelly, but it't still pretty strong. Personally, I am not a fan of this scent, and I didn't realise they shared the same scent until I had already bought the product.


To use this body mask, you can do one of three things.

You can crush the mask up in a pot and apply it as fine grains. This may be the easiest way for some people, as the slab of Glorious mud contains sodium bicarb and can therefore dissolve easily under water.

You can also cut a piece off. I think this would be the most difficult method as the mask is quite grainy and crumbly, and I think a lot could be wasted this way.

Or you can do as I do, use the mask as a scrub by rubbing it into your skin by holding the cube in your hand. As long as you keep it out the stream of water, this is a fairly easy method and is ideal for when you are applying in the shower or standing up.



As I previously mentioned, Glorious Mud is quite a grainy scrub- although it has oils and gentle skin-softening ingredients, it can feel a little harsh when applying, if like me, you have sensitive skin. However, when you run it down your skin a steady trail of body mask melts onto your skin and you can then massage it in, either with a scrub mitt or just your bare hand. This body mask is also quite messy as it is rhassoul mud-based, so be careful not to get it on the walls, and if you do, rinse it off right away.

Unfortunately for me, the smell of this mask (which I didn't like from the start), elevated in the shower and became overwhelming almost unbearable. It became richer and quite strong and sickly- something which fans of the scent would no doubt love- but I hated. In fact I had to rinse it off quite quick and then rinse the shower and open the window too, just to try and get the smell out of the bathroom.

The one positive thing I can say about this body mask is that for the brief time after I had rinsed it off, my skin did feel really soft after all the oils and butters had sunk in. It obviously does it's job well as a product- but the scent just doesn't agree with me and the mask made a lot of mess, which I wasn't too happy about.

I have read lots of reviews from people who love this body mask, but for me, it seems to be a love or hate product, and unfortunately I am in the latter category. I just wish Lush would come up with the product in a different scent and then maybe I would be willing to overlook the mess problem. Overall, it made my skin feel nice- but I won't be buying Glorious Mud body mask again.

2/10




No comments:

Post a Comment