Saturday 4 April 2015

Calcot Manor 'The Lazy Evening' salt scrub

Seeing as it's now spring, I wanted to try something that would help get rid of any dry skin I had got over the winter. So I decided to try a salt scrub, and I was very surprised at some of the prices in stores, for what is essentially salt mixed with oils. Infact, you could probably make a pretty good salt or sugar scrub at home for not much money at all.


After looking in supermarkets for a cheaper alternative, the packaging of the Calcot Manor salt scrub drew me in. This scrub comes in a large, heavy plastic (although at first glance it looks like glass) tub, with a metal clasp closure. This tub is visually appealing, and looks professional, as if it might be something you would see in a spa. However, the metal clip is terrible, it is extremely difficult to open and shut and you have to handle it with a lot of force. I am unsure if I was just unlucky with my tub, but it is definitely something you have to watch out for, especially if (like me), you will be handling this product in the bath or shower.

After opening it, the scent of this salt scrub is quite nice. It is a fresh, fruity scent. Pretty generic, but unoffensive. For something that is called 'the lazy evening', I expected a lavender/chamomile scent, however the more uplifting citrus scent was a welcome surprise.

The texture of this scrub is like a thick paste, with fine granules of salt stirred in to give it a good scrubby texture without being overbearing and painful to use regularly. It feels quite oily to touch, so I am guessing it has been designed with dry, flaky skin in mind.


You can use this scrub in several ways.

Firstly, you can apply the scrub to dry skin, blending into your skin with a exfoliating-gloved or bare hand, then rinse off quickly afterwards. This is the most abrasive way of scrubbing, and can potentially be the most effective if you have really dry, problem skin, however-it can be a little harsh and painful for those with sensitive skin.

Secondly, and this is my favourite way, you can hop in the shower and apply it under the stream of the water. This is less scrubby and painful, and as you rub it in, it will provide an effective exfoliation without hurting your skin. After it is rinsed off, the oils in the scrub remain on your skin which help moisturise your skin and make it feel smooth.

You could also use this as a facial scrub, or  hand or foot scrub as part of a manicure or pedicure, and it would last for ages.

After it is rinsed off,  my skin was left feeling smooth from the oils contained in it and from the exfoliation. As the salt granules weren't too big, I had no redness either. However, I think this scrub may be a little to rich for people with oily skin as it does provide a lot of moisturising due to the large amount of oils contained inside and could make you break out. Obviously I can't confirm this for sure as I have dry/sensitive skin, but I would advise you try a little bit out before you start using it all over.

The price of this salt scrub is very low, and I picked up the large tub for £3.99. I believe the Calcot Manor range is on special offer at the moment, so this low price might not last, however I would be willing to pay around £7 for this as it worked very well for me.

Please note that the Calcot Manor is a range exclusive to Tesco, so you will only be able to pick up their products there. They do a range of scrubs, masks, bubble baths and lotions, in several different scents suitable for different skin types. I will definitely be checking out more of the range when I am next in store, and picking up a few different bits to try out.


For a large scrub at a low price, try this one out. Unfortunately it loses marks for it's packaging, but overall, I would buy again. Do you know any good salt or sugar scrubs? Comment below and let me know.

7.5/10




No comments:

Post a Comment