Wednesday 8 April 2015

Original Source coconut shower gel


After trying Original Source Lime shower gel, and finding it distinctly average, I decided to give some of the other scents in the range a go to see if I could find one that suited me more.

Original Source coconut shower gel was actually recommended to me by my friend Tez, who made lots of positive comments about it.  And after having a look for it in the shops, I found it in Tesco on special offer. I contemplated picking up a couple of bottles, but I have so many different shower gels to review and I am trying to 'cut back' on how many I buy, so I stuck with one.

Before I review anymore, I have to admit that I am not really a fan of coconut scents. I don't hate them, but I would always favour most other fruit scents over coconut. However, I will give this shower gel a fair review based on what it is.

Original Source shower gels have particularly distinctive packaging, which helps differentiate their products from other ones. The bottles have their caps on the bottom, and are designed to be stood this way up, which avoids any product wastage. I am a big fan of this type of bottle, and I wish upper-end companies would take note.

Flicking open the cap, natural coconut scent is pretty faint, and you have to really put your nose up to the bottle to be able to get a smell of it. Alternatively, you could decant a little onto your palm (which I did), and quickly wash your hands with it to get a quick smell of the shower gel before you use it in the shower or bath.

For me, the smell was a little disappointing. It has the obvious creamy coconut element, and a slight-but almost unnoticable-floral undertone, which helps give the scent a little something extra and pads it out a bit. But the scent is unfortunately faint, yet a little sickly- and doesn't elevate at all under the heat of the water. This is ideal if you don't want a strong scent, but I imagine it would be disappointing if you are expecting a tropical coconut hit. 


The texture of this shower gel is medium thickness-which I think is ideal for a shower gel.It's not so watery you will drop half of it down the drain, but it's not so thick it isn't pourable. Original source coconut shower gel is creamy, and lathers up averagely- it doesn't provide the best lather I have tried, but I suspect it would lather up better using a shower puff. It also feels a little oily on the skin while using.

Unfortunately, whether it was due to the lack of lather, or that this shower gel was oily (though I feel this is due to it being marketed as a moisturising shower gel), I didn't feel particularly clean or comfortable after using it. I have dry skin, so I was hoping that the shower gel would moisturise as well as cleanse my skin, but unfortunately it didn't do a great job and I ended up topping up with Lush's So White shower gel to make my skin feel washed properly.

I have heard of people using this shower gel in their hair, however as my hair is heavily dyed and dry and needs shampoo for colour treated and problematic hair, I decided to avoid trying this so can't report on it's results. It  may work well on dry hair, though, as it isn't drying on the skin.

I will definitely try using this shower gel as a bubble bath, and see if I get any positive results, but for now, it's definitely not one of my favourites to be used in the shower and has been pushed to the back of my pile of shower gels.


I would say with the practical, plain packaging and the non-overpowering scent, this shower gel is pretty unisex and could be enjoyed by men and women alike. Although my review seems pretty negative, I didn't hate this product- there is just many I have tried which I have enjoyed a lot more and have yielded more positive results for me, and as coconut isn't a scent I am particularly a fan of, I was feeling pretty pessimistic about this shower gel from the word go. 

However, if you have very dry skin, and enjoy fainter, non-overpowering scents, give this a go- it may work for you, and is cheap at the £1.10 I paid for it. 

I'm interested in trying the original source body butters and shower scrubs,  so I will definitely pick up a couple more products when I go out again and see if I can find something that works better for me. If you have any product suggestions, comment below.




4/10



No comments:

Post a Comment