Monday 2 March 2015

Pot o' gold shower jelly




Lush bring out an Easter range each year, with limited edition soaps, bath bombs, shower jellies, bubble bars and gifts each year. This shower jelly is part of Lush's 2015 easter range, and was the first item in the range that caught my eye when browsing online.

Lush's shower jellies are an alternative to shower gel. They are available in several different scents, some of which are limited edition, and only a couple are available to buy year-round. This is a limited edition scent, so if you are interested in it, make sure you try it out before they stop selling it.

Pot o' gold shower jelly has the same scent as Lush's discontinued crème anglais lotion. I had never tried this, so I had nothing to compare it to, but after reading a little about the lotion online, I expected a sweet, luxury vanilla aroma.

After unscrewing the lid, I was surprised at the aroma which greeted me. It is a pretty complex, layered, strong aroma. It is pretty in-your-face and I don't expect fans of floral or soft scents will particularly appreciate this offering. It has vanilla in there, of course, but is overpowered by a top layer smokiness which is perhaps caused by the myrrh contained within. It has a faint underlying fruity smell of oranges too, which is barely noticeable. The scent of Pot o' gold is very difficult to describe, and one that I think needs to be smelled in person to be appreciated.

The colour of the shower jelly is beautiful, however, and the bright gold is filled with flecks of lustre and bubbles. It is very pretty and this is what drew me to it in the first place.


Shower jelly by lush can be used in several different ways. Firstly, you can rub the whole slab or a torn-off piece onto your skin to create a lather. Personally I find this method difficult, as the jelly tends to fall out your hands as it is so slippery.

Secondly, you can rub the slab or a piece into a shower puff and rub this on your skin. This for me was the most successful way of creating a soft, cleansing lather.

Last of all, you can chop the jelly into pieces and use each one to create bubbles in your bath. I also find this method pretty successful for this particular shower jelly, as there are a fair amount of bubbles created and the aroma lingers for a long time.

Shower jellies by LUSH can also be frozen, and used as an ice-cool treat to wash with in the summer. They never freeze completely solid, so they are still able to be torn or chopped up after being left in the freezer overnight. However, they do change colour once frozen to a more opaque shade.

I have to admit- I am not the biggest fan of the scent, and wasn't looking forward to using it incase the smell elevated under the hot water. However, after trying it out, although the scent did get a little stronger, it wasn't in-your-face terrible. The shower jelly was one of the more solid ones, so didn't lather up as easier as some of the others I have tried.

Overall, I really did want to like this, but the scent just isn't for me. I am normally a fan of gourmand scents, especially vanilla, however the myrrh in this totally killed it for me and was too strong. I will continue using up this tub until it's finished, however I can't see me buying another one.


4.5/10




No comments:

Post a Comment