Thursday 19 February 2015

American Cream conditioner

American Cream conditioner

Lush do a large selection of shampoos and conditioners, so after having a look online at a few, I picked up the smallest size of American cream- a ‘double strength, milkshake-thick conditioner’, to try on my hair.
I have had bleached hair for around four years now, and have tried all sorts of different colours before settling for a bright blue (which I’ve had almost 3 years). Fortunately, my hair dye is conditioning, so doesn’t damage my hair too much, but the fact I have my roots bleached every 3 months, and I straighten my hair most days, means I have dry, easily tangled hair, that requires a lot of conditioning.
American cream is available in 3 sizes, 100g, 250g or 500g. To start off with, I bought the smallest size, incase I didn’t like the conditioner, as it is quite a pricey option.
The conditioner comes in a bottle, with a flip cap at the top. There are good and bad things about this packaging. It is good, because it’s sturdy and no water can get in, but bad, because you might struggle to get every bit of conditioner out as some could settle at the bottom.
Flipping the bottle open, the smell is very nice. I wouldn’t relate it to a milkshake at all, though. To me, it smells slightly fruity, and herby, with lavender notes coming through. It’s a complicated scent with lots of layers to it.
For a double strength conditioner, this seemed pretty thin to me, but thick enough so it wasn’t spilling and dripping everywhere. I squeezed the excess moisture out and smoothed the conditioner over my hair as normal. It seemed to almost absorb in my hair, so I kept returning for seconds, thirds and fourths, and the 100g bottle was almost done after first use.
After waiting 5 minutes, I rinsed, and my hair still felt pretty knotty after use. I dried off my hair and struggled to tug a brush through it. When I use my regular conditioner, it brushes easily, but  American cream seemed to be not strong enough to tame the kinks and knots.
It didn’t remove any of my hair colour, but it didn’t make it anymore ‘radiant’ either, although it doesn’t make any promises to do this. However, my hair did have a great scent that lasted throughout the day.
I tried using this conditioner again, but it was still producing unsatisfactory results, so I ‘topped up’ with my regular l’oreal conditioner, which made the use of the American cream seem almost pointless.
American cream is a fairly expensive conditioner, priced at £4.50 for 100g, £8.95 for 250g and a hefty £14.25 for 500g
I may try American cream out again, but maybe as a conditioner only for the days when my hair is greasy.
Rating: 5.5/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment